Coronavirus latest: How many people have died from Coronavirus?

Coronavirus cases have spiked this week as COVID-19 planted a foothold in Europe, where it was able to infect nearly 1,000 people in Italy. As it spreads further afield from its origin point of Wuhan, China, the virus remains deadly and has killed thousands of people worldwide.

How many people have died from coronavirus?

Coronavirus was a “novel” infection when it first arose in 2019, allowing cases to blindside health officials.

As it spread through China, a burgeoning death rate followed, mainly among people in advanced age or suffering from another chronic illness.

As of March 1, cases number 87,470, and deaths have climbed to 2,990, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

READ MORE

  • Pope Francis: Vatican leader was victim of ‘insulting attacks’

Although the figures presented by John’s Hopkins seem particularly alarming, the death rate is still relatively low.

Researchers currently estimate between five and 40 of 1,000 coronavirus cases are fatal, with a rough rate of one percent.

In reality, the death rate could be much lower, as several hundred or thousands of cases could cause mild symptoms and go unreported.

The deadliest cases are the easiest to count, which could lead to an overestimated fatality rate.

Estimation can also go the other way, as when officials include cases which haven’t yet resulted in recovery or death, the fatality rate goes down.

Concluding a reliable fatality rate isn’t possible until an outbreak is “over”, which may not be for some time in the case of coronavirus.

Researchers can identify who is the most at risk of death while it is still ongoing, however.

The first extensive analysis of 44,000 coronavirus cases from China found age was the best determiner of mortality likelihood.

DON’T MISS
Coronavirus: Hungary closes borders amid fears over outbreak – INSIGHT
Coronavirus: How to avoid getting the deadly virus – EXPLAINER
Cruise: Fred Olsen ship docks in St Maarten amid coronavirus fear – INSIGHT

READ MORE

  • Piers Morgan takes swipe at Jon Snow’s ‘lonely’ Coronavirus isolation

The analysis concluded the most at-risk group was those aged 80+ years old, with most people in the range dying from a coronavirus infection.

The 70 to 79 bracket still saw a marked increase in fatalities, but it was nearly half as dangerous.

Fatality rates improve as age goes down, with just eight deaths in 4,500 cases among people under 30 years old.

One age group – zero to nine years old – has no recorded deaths whatsoever.

Comorbidity naturally plays a part in deaths amongst most ages, with older people likely to have other illnesses.

The same analysis found people with cardiovascular problems were most likely to die from COVID-19.

Those suffering from diabetes, respiratory disease and hypertension are also at a lesser but still elevated risk of death.

Researchers also found a slightly higher fatality rate amongst male COVID-19 patients.

Source: Read Full Article

Morocco may postpone sports, cultural events over coronavirus

RABAT (Reuters) – Morocco is considering the postponement of sports and cultural events over coronavirus fears, a national committee charged with overseeing the state’s response to the disease said on Sunday, state media reported.

Mass gatherings may also be canceled the committee said, adding that travel to and from countries suffering from coronavirus outbreak would continue to be monitored.

Morocco, which has not confirmed any coronavirus cases, said it had tested 25 people suspected of having the virus but so far all the tests had come back negative.

Morocco’s airline RAM has extended its suspension of direct flights to China, the epicenter of the virus outbreak. But it continues to operate flights to Italy which is at the heart of Europe’s worst outbreak.

The committee urged travelers coming from countries suffering from coronavirus outbreak to avoid crowded venues, monitor their body temperature for 14 days and seek medical help in case of symptoms.

Source: Read Full Article

Washington state governor declares state of emergency after first COVID-19 death in U.S.

The governor of Washington state declared a state of emergency Saturday after a man died there of COVID-19, the first such reported death in the United States. More than 50 people in a nursing facility are sick and being tested for the virus.

Gov. Jay Inslee directed state agencies to use “all resources necessary” to prepare for and respond to the coronavirus outbreak. The declaration also allows the use of the Washington National Guard, if necessary.

“We will continue to work toward a day where no one dies from this virus,” the governor vowed.

Health officials in California, Oregon and Washington state are worried about the novel coronavirus spreading through West Coast communities because people are being infected by unknown means. They had not visited an area where there was an outbreak, nor apparently been in contact with anyone who had.

The man who died was in his 50s, had underlying health conditions and no history of travel or contact with a known COVID-19 case, health officials in Washington state said at a news conference. A spokesperson for EvergreenHealth Medical Center, Kayse Dahl, said the person died in the facility in the Seattle suburb of Kirkland.

Source: Read Full Article

Plague Inc. smartphone game banned in China amid worldwide COVID-19 outbreak

A popular smartphone game that simulates the spread of deadly viruses and diseases around the world has been banned from the Apple App Store by Chinese authorities, according to its developers.

In a statement released Thursday, the maker of Plague Inc. said it was “devastated” over Chinese players not being able to access or play the game.

The company said it isn’t clear whether the game’s removal, which was ordered by the Cyberspace Administration of China, is linked to the spread of a new coronavirus that has dominated world headlines since early January. To date, the disease has spread to at least 57 countries and has infected more than 85,400 people. At least 2,900 deaths worldwide have been attributed to the virus.

Source: Read Full Article

B.C. to provide latest update on COVID-19 in province

B.C. health officials are set to provide an update on COVID-19 in the province Saturday morning.

Chief medical health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix will begin their press conference at 10:15 a.m. PT.

B.C. is home to seven cases of COVID-19 as of Saturday. All the cases are linked to travel in either China or Iran, or are connected to cases that had travelled to those countries.

On Tuesday — a day after the seventh case was announced — Henry and Dix said they’re still optimistic COVID-19 can be contained, but are preparing for the possibility that it becomes a full-blown pandemic.

“We are, of course, hoping for the best, but we are preparing for all circumstances in the province,” said Dix.

—With files from Simon Little

Source: Read Full Article

Oregon’s 1st case of COVID-19 is latest of unknown origin in U.S.

Health officials in Oregon have announced the state’s first presumptive case of COVID-19, which is also the third U.S. case not linked to international travel or contact with other people infected with the disease.

The Oregon Health Authority said Friday that the patient, a resident of Washington County, began experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 on Feb. 19. A test sample was collected Friday and testing began hours later.

Officials say the origin of the infection is still unknown, and are treating it as a likely case of “community spread.”

“Our first concern is for this individual, to make sure they’re being cared for and is able to recover,” Oregon Health Authority director Patrick Allen said in a statement.

“Our next priority is finding out who this individual had contact with and make sure they know about their risks, and to let them know how they can get care if they need it. We said this was a fast-moving situation, and we’ve proved that to be true.”

The infected person is being isolated and cared for at the Kaiser Permanente Westside Medical Center in Hillsboro, officials said.

Source: Read Full Article

Dad twice tested negative for coronavirus coughs non-stop in TV interview

A dad who twice tested negative for coronavirus after returning to the US from Wuhan, China, had an uncontrollable coughing fit during a live TV interview.

Frank Wucinski, from Pennsylvania, told Fox News he and his three-year-old daughter both tested negative twice before being kept in isolation by the Centres for Disease Control.

Mr Wucinski said he had been to the city at the heart of the coronavirus epidemic to attend his father-in-law’s funeral.

But, during the interview, Mr Wucinski could not stop coughing and had to apologise before swigging from his daughter’s water bottle.

  • Disney resorts close as coronavirus infection rates soar across globe

  • Dog tests positive for coronavirus after patient 'transfers disease' to beloved pet

He added: “Fortunately, from what I understand, it is contagious, but the death rate is pretty low.”

The interview quizzed Mr Wucinski after he noticed the dad coughing and asked about his condition.

Read More

CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK

  • China 'deploys incinerators'
  • iPhone supplies affected
  • China 'burning cash to beat virus'
  • Robot doctor treating first US victim
  • UK prepares for worst
  • Loo roll robbery
  • Panic buying causes death
  • All you need to know about coronavirus

Mr Wucinski responded: “They said yeah, I’m fine.

“I got tested twice, negative both times, the cough…probably just a nerve.”

The interview left viewers stunned and concerned about possible cross-infection between Frank and his daughter.”

One posted on social media: “Why is he sharing his water with his daughter, what the actual f***?”

Another commented: “This guy is coughing non-stop, touching his daughter’s water bottle then drinking from it and giving it back to her so she can continue drinking.”

  • Coronavirus patients 'may be denied life-saving care' if disease overwhelms hospitals

  • Brits stranded on coronavirus-hit cruise ship to be evacuated

A third added: “He coughed in his hand and then touched his daughter’s hands.”

The coronavirus has rapidly spread across the globe since the first infections were recorded in Wuhan at the tail-end of last year.

So far, nearly 3,000 people have died from the disease across the globe.

The first British victim, who was aboard the Diamon Princess cruise ship that was docked in Japan, was confirmed yesterday .

Source: Read Full Article

Canada could move to more active surveillance of COVID-19. Here’s what that means.

With cases of COVID-19 appearing in an ever-growing list of countries, health officials are considering stepping up Canada’s surveillance of the novel coronavirus disease.

“We’re talking with experts on how we might expand our surveillance, how we might expand our testing. We’re doing that right now,” said Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s chief medical officer of health at a press conference Thursday.

Right now, he said, doctors generally decide whether to get a patient tested on the basis of their symptoms, as well as their travel history.

However, if they believe it’s warranted, Ontario doctors have the discretion to get a test even if someone hasn’t visited an affected country.

But with nearly 60 countries reporting cases, and outbreaks in Iran, South Korea, Italy and China, the methods might change, he said.

“The fact is that we are identifying more and more travel, more and more issues.”

“So that’s our concern: are we moving into a new phase? Do we have to be attentive? Can we do a wider surveillance to say, maybe there are some out there, how are we going to know that?” Williams said.

“Let’s do a wider check and see.”

Source: Read Full Article

Coronavirus UK outbreak sees Boris hold Cobra meeting to coordinate response

A Downing Street spokesman said his decision to take charge of the meeting followed the sharp increase in the number of cases of Covid-19 in mainland Europe. The move also came after the Prime Minister inspected NHS preparations for a potential spread of the disease during a night-time visit to a hospital in the Midlands. Mr Johnson spoke to a string of staff and patients at Kettering General Hospital during the four-hour visit to witness night shifts in progress.

 But critics yesterday questioned why the Prime Minister, who is spending this weekend at his Chequers country retreat, was not holding the Cobra meeting sooner. 

Labour’s shadow health secretary Jonathan Ashworth said: “Our part-time prime minister needs to get a grip of this escalating situation quickly. It shouldn’t take another three days for this meeting to take place.”

Former chancellor George Osborne said Mr Johnson should be chairing a daily Cobra meeting, saying the public needed to know that ministers had the situation under control.

“The British Government now needs to go onto a ‘war footing’ with the coronavirus: daily NHS press briefings, regular Cobra meetings chaired by the PM, ministers on all major media shows,” Mr Osborne, who now edits the London Evening Standard, tweeted.

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey said: “With the NHS already so stretched, it’s gobsmacking that the Prime Minister has delayed chairing Cobra for so long.

“Johnson seems like he’d rather bury his head in the sand than hear for himself what the experts are saying and what his ministers are doing.”

Downing Street said officials from the Department of Health, Public Health England and other relevant departments were meeting on a daily basis to discuss the crisis.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock had been chairing a weekly Cobra meeting but twice-weekly gatherings of the Whitehall civil contingencies committee will begin next week.

The spokesman said: “The Prime Minister is keen to chair Cobra on Monday to ensure that everything that can be done is being done.”

The spokesman also disclosed that Mr Johnson had spent half of the night shift on Thursday visiting Kettering Hospital where senior clinicians had talked him through their preparations.

The latest criticism of Mr Johnson followed complaints he has failed to visit any of the most recently flood-hit areas of the country.

Mr Ashworth said the Prime Minister should now end the ban on ministers appearing on some news shows, including the Radio 4 Today programme, in the interests of ensuring the public is kept fully informed.

“People are understandably worried. Boris Johnson should drop his childish ban on ministers appearing on BBC radio programmes,” he said.

“The public deserves to hear what plans are in place to deal with the outbreak.”

Speaking in Downing Street last night, the Prime Minister said: “Our thoughts are very much with the family of the victim in Yokohama, the UK national, and the Foreign Office is doing all they can to support.

“But on the wider issue of coronavirus, which obviously is of great concern to people, I just want to reassure everybody and say that the NHS is making every possible preparation.

“I saw myself some of the work that is being done across the NHS to get ready for that just last night.

“As you can imagine, the issue of coronavirus is something that is now the Government’s top priority.

“I’ve just had a meeting with the Chief Medical Officer, the Health Secretary and other talking about the preparations we need to make.

“I just repeat the advice of the Chief Medical Officer, which I think is the best thing to get across – the most valuable thing we can all do to prevent the spread of coronavirus is to wash our hands for 20 seconds or more with hot water and soap.

“That is the best single piece of advice we can give.”

Asked about allegations that he was not acting quickly enough to respond to the outbreak, Mr Johnson said: “We’ve just had a meeting of all the Government ministers concerned and the Chief Medical Officer. 

“There has been a regular series of Cobra meetings to prepare for this eventuality. I think people are right to be concerned and they’re right to want to take every possible precaution.

“We will, in the course of the next few days, issue further advice about how to respond and how we’re going to deal with any potential outbreak of the illness.

“But as I say, the best thing people can do to prevent the spread of coronavirus is wash your hands.”

Asked about suggestions that the victim who died of the disease should have been airlifted back to the UK sooner, the Prime Minister added: “We were following the best medical advice. 

“We very much regret the loss of life of the individual concerned but we think the best thing to do is not to move people around too much in the current situation, not to repatriate unless you can be absolutely sure that there isn’t going to be a spread and a contagion to this country.

“That’s the principle that we’re adopting. We’re meeting continually to deal with this.

“And I just want the public to understand that the NHS is a fantastic system.

“I saw what preparations are being made, I was in Kettering General Hospital looking at the coronavirus pod that they have there and looking at the preparations the NHS is already getting under way.

“But the best way we can help our NHS is to take those elementary precautions ourselves.”

Source: Read Full Article

CBS suspends production of ‘Amazing Race’ over coronavirus concerns

CBS has halted production of The Amazing Race as the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, continues to spread.

In a statement to Global News, the production company confirmed that the 33rd season of the reality show would be put on hiatus as a “precautionary measure” to ensure the safety and health of their participants.

“All contestants and production staff are in the process of returning home. At this time, no racers or anyone on the production team travelling with them have contracted the virus, or shown symptoms, and we are not aware of anyone being exposed to it,” the statement says.

“Out of an abundance of caution, everyone involved in the show will continue to be monitored when they return home. The health and well-being of the racers and the production team are our top priorities.”

Source: Read Full Article