Officer seriously injured after being assaulted in Richmond Hill mall parking lot: police

York Regional Police say an officer has been seriously injured after he was assaulted in a Richmond Hill mall parking lot.

A police spokesperson told Global News the incident happened at around 3:40 p.m. on Friday in the parking lot of Hillcrest Mall, near Yonge Street and Carville Mall.

The spokesperson said the male suspect approached the officer, who was parked near a Marshalls store, and allegedly assaulted them.

Video shared on social media appears to have captured part of the incident. It’s believed the suspect was dressed in a full-body, white protective suit.

The officer was sustained serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.

The suspect was arrested and charges are pending.

More to come.

Source: Read Full Article

New Zealand mosque terror attacker changes plea to guilty after killing 51

A gunman who killed 51 worshippers in two New Zealand mosques has changed his plea to guilty, admitting all murder charges.

Brenton Tarrant opened fire during Friday Prayers last year in New Zealand, Christchurch.

The 29-year-old had previously denied the charges and was due to go on trial in June, but has changed his plea in a shock move.

Tarrant appeared via video link at Christchurch High Court due to the current coronavirus outbreak which has placed New Zealand on lockdown.

The BBC reports, Judge Justice Mander said: "It is regrettable that the Covid-19 restrictions that presently apply do not permit victims and their families to travel to be present in the courtroom when the defendant entered his pleas of guilty."

Brenton Tarrant is accused of carrying out the murders on March 15, 2019.

Australian Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 29, admitted he alone was responsible for the deadly attacks in the Christchurch last March, according to local reports.

The attack prompted New Zealand's gun reforms, after Tarrant livestreamed the murders and uploaded on to Facebook.

Using a GoPro camera he could be seen going into the Al Noor mosque, firing his gun at least 205 times.

According to Newstalk ZB, Tarrant also admitted 40 charges of attempted murder relating to the two attacks at Masjid Al Noor and Linwood Islamic Centre in the South Island city on March 15, 2019.

In a manifesto posted by him on Facebook, he wrote explained why he carried out the attack, to avenge “thousands of deaths caused by foreign invaders”.

  • Shooting
  • Crime
  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article

Getaway driver who helped burglars is convicted – after his own sisters testify

A getaway driver who fled to visit his sisters after a burglary was convicted of helping a gang raid a family's home in Liverpool, after his siblings testified.

CCTV at the West Derby home captures the moment three burglars carried out a "military-style" operation as they stormed into a businessman's home on August 30, 2018.

In the clip, bungling Jason Gilmartin, 47, is seen waiting in his own white Seat Ibiza car to ferry them to and from the property.

The three intruders climb over the garage roof, break into the house through open patio doors and threaten the homeowner's sister at knifepoint, according to Liverpool Echo.

The group eventually escaped with £25,000 in cash, four Breitling watches valued at £34,000, a key to an Audi car, and the woman's £13,000 diamond ring and £7,000 Cartier watch, a court heard.

The burglars remain at large but Gilmartin fled to Birmingham where his sisters live and allegedly told them about the robbery.

He was arrested 10 days after the victim reported him to the police.

Gilmartin was found guilty of aggravated burglary after an astonishing six-day trial at Liverpool Crown Court, which saw two of his sisters help convict him.

Mary Au revealed Gilmartin confessed to her that evening he had "done a job", while Christine Au recalled her brother said he needed to "lie low".

Kenneth Grant, prosecuting, said the female victim was pulled by one of the gang members out of the room by her hair and arms, while shouting: "Come out or we'll stab the dogs."

The two other men were armed with a knife and a crowbar and they tried unsuccessfully to push the victim into a cupboard under the stairs.

She was ordered to sit in the living room until two other burglars came back with watch bags and a black box from a safe upstairs.

The court heard the thugs warned the woman not to call police for five minutes, then fled, climbing over a garden wall.

But detectives discovered the gang had used the Seat car, registered and insured by Gilmartin in his name, and captured on CCTV cameras at the house and across the city.

He told the jury he had visited a drug dealer friend in Mill Lane, West Derby, when a group of men frightened him into giving them his car.

He said he handed them the keys, and while they carried out the raid, he was in Morecambe Street, having walked there.

However, CCTV and ANPR showed his car on Lower Breck Road – around the corner from his house – only 20 minutes after he said he gave the men the car.

The jury convicted Gilmartin by a majority of 10 to two, after more than 14 hours of deliberation.

Judge Thomas Teague, QC, remanded him in custody and said he will be sentenced on April 27.

Source: Read Full Article

Penticton RCMP investigating single shot fired through motel room window

A shot fired at a motel room in the South Okanagan is being investigated, say Penticton RCMP.

According to police, the incident occurred Sunday evening, along the 2500 block of Skaha Lake Road, with officers responding to the incident at 10:30 p.m.

“The occupants of a room within the motel called 911 to report that an unidentified person had discharged a firearm toward their suite,” said police.

“Investigators observed a single bullet hole in the front window of one of the motel suites.”

Police believe the incident is isolated and that the public is not at risk, adding that the shooter’s identity is currently unknown. They also said they had yet to receive any reports of injuries from the incident.

If you have any information regarding this incident, you are asked to contact the Penticton RCMP at 250-492-4300 or Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477.

Source: Read Full Article

Shots fired in Vernon residential area

RCMP in Vernon are hoping any witnesses will come forward after shots were fired around midnight Friday in a residential area.

It happened in the 1700 block of 43 Street, a residential block in the city’s Okanagan Landing neighbourhood.

Police said officers haven’t found any evidence that anyone was hurt by the shots.

“Officers conducted neighbourhood inquiries and spoke to potential witnesses to obtain further information,” Const. Kelly Brett said in a media release.

Police said, “evidence was found confirming shots were fired and a possible vehicle involved.”

RCMP did not answer questions about whether any structures were hit or if officers have a suspect saying “the investigation is still in the early stages.”

Source: Read Full Article

Woman who stabbed girl, 7, to death in park detained under the Mental Health Act

A woman arrested at the scene after a seven-year-old girl was stabbed to death in a Bolton park has been detained under the Mental Health Act.

The girl was attacked on Sunday while she was at Queen's Park with her family.

Witnesses say a woman holding a knife approached the family and stabbed the girl in the neck before taking off running.

She was overpowered and detained by a member of the public and later arrested.

Emergency services were called to the 22-acre park on Sunday afternoon and an Air Ambulance helicopter also attended the scene. Several police cars could be seen parked outside and entrances to the park was cordoned off.

The child was seriously injured and died a short time after the attack.

An eye witness claims they saw the young victim being given CPR as two adults stood "covered in blood" nearby.

Assistant Chief Constable, Russ Jackson of Greater Manchester Police, said: "Words cannot describe how awful this attack is.

"The family were out in the park, enjoying the spring sun when in a totally unprovoked and random attack this little girl sustained horrendous injuries and sadly died a short while later.

"A 30-year-old woman who was not known to the family was detained by a member of the public and then arrested by the police.

"She is currently in custody for murder and it is expected she will be interviewed by detectives later.

"We are working to understand the motive for this completely random and brutal attack.

"We understand that the woman has some history of mental illness and we are working to understand if this played any part in her motive.

"We have sent specialist family liaison officers to support the family. This is a family's worst nightmare. The incident is horrendous and I cannot begin to imagine what the family of this little girl are going through.

"We are determined to quickly understand how this came to happen, leaving a young family so distraught and so devastated in an instant."

  • Family
  • Crime

Source: Read Full Article

N.S. RCMP seek public help in violent assault, break-in investigation

RCMP are asking for the public’s help as they investigate a violent assault and break-in at a home in Priestville, N.S,. on Friday.

At approximately 9:49 p.m., officers of the Pictou District detachment responded to a call of a woman who said she had been hit in the head and needed assistance.

When police arrived at the scene, they learned that between three and four men, all wearing masks, entered a home and hit the two occupants in the head with a baseball bat.

The men reportedly stole cash and marijuana before fleeing the area in a small dark sedan, which police describe as being similar to a Honda Civic.

The vehicle was last spotted travelling in the direction of Sherbrooke Road, toward Highway 104.

Police say the two victims were taken to hospital by Emergency Health Services. Their injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

Source: Read Full Article

Truck found with 8,000 kilos of stolen toilet paper during coronavirus crisis

A truck that was reported stolen was discovered this week filled with over 8,000kg (18,000 pounds) of toilet paper and various commercial paper products, amid the coronavirus panic-buying crisis.

Police began following the tractor-trailer after it was flagged for a motor vehicle violation, according to Newswpxi.com.

Upon discovery, cops understood the vehicle to be stolen and filled with paper products.

An investigation has been launched and no arrests have been made.

Throughout the world, worried shoppers have been fighting over toilet paper and other products amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Brits have taken panic buying to the next level as fighting and screaming were reported in supermarkets across the country following the coronavirus outbreak.

Last week, A 13-year-old girl was trampled on in a stampede after shoppers rushed into a supermarket to grab toilet roll.

Photos from supermarkets around the world show shelves stripped bare with people queuing up with trolleys piled high with bog roll.

Although there is no evidence to suggest there will be a toilet roll shortage, worried shoppers are still adamant to stock up.

This has also caused some shops to sell rolls at extortionate prices.

Panic-buying over coronavirus triggered a brawl in a supermarket as two women were filmed fighting over toilet paper in Australia.

Popular presenter Paddy McGuiness slammed shoppers who were buying huge amounts of toilet roll.

The former Take Me Out Presenter took to his Instagram page to say: "I'm about to risk my first big shop since all the madness happened.

"I hope there's stuff on the shelves after all the absolute tools stripped everything all the pensioners and everyone else who couldn't get to the supermarkets."

The coronavirus pandemic has gripped the world, forcing nations to go on lockdown as governments try to contain the spread of COVID-19.

In fear of lockdown and the uncertainty surrounding the timing of it, shoppers have resulted in stockpiling.

Source: Read Full Article

G7 leaders vow to do what it takes to fight coronavirus, support economies

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Leaders of the Group of Seven wealthy democracies said on Monday they were committed to doing “whatever is necessary” to battle the coronavirus pandemic and to work together more closely to protect public health, jobs and growth.

After a call on Monday, the leaders issued a statement promising to address the health and economic risks of the COVID-19 pandemic and set the stage for a strong recovery of economic growth and prosperity.

“We resolve to coordinate measures and do whatever it takes, using all policy tools, to achieve strong growth in the G7 economies, and to safeguard against downside risks,” they said.

“To this end, we are mobilizing the full range of instruments, including monetary and fiscal measures, as well as targeted actions, to support immediately and as much as necessary the workers, companies, and sectors most affected. This is particularly important for small and medium businesses and working families,” they added.

The G7 leaders said their finance ministers would weekly coordinate implementation of the measures and develop further actions.

They called on the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank Group and other international organizations to support countries worldwide to deal with the crisis.

“We will address disturbances to international supply chains and continue our work to facilitate international trade,” they added.

Source: Read Full Article

Police chief breaks down in tears over budget cuts

A chief constable broke down in tears as he described making ‘difficult choices’ while trying to running a police force amid budget cuts.

Gareth Morgan, of Staffordshire police, said it was a ‘continual challenge’ deciding how to best serve the public with diminishing resources.

The police chief, who has 32 years of service, said: "We've had difficult choices to make about where you prioritise the limited resources that you've got.

"My job is to try and balance those competing needs. With what I've got, where can I get the best return to keep the public as safe as I can? And that's a continual challenge and I feel that very powerfully with the staff."

The father-of-two then said, "I need a minute", before bowing his head and wiping away tears.

Mr Morgan, 53, added: "And it is hard when you're trying to get that balance right. It does weigh heavily on you in terms of 'was that the right choice? Is this the right direction to go in?'

“But when I'm not here, and people are off doing this stuff, 24/7, looking after people, and I live here, I'm part of the community, they're doing it on our behalf, and I feel I'm responsible."

  • Coronavirus toilet paper panic forces cops to say 'don't call us if you run out'

He spoke to the broadcaster for a new BBC 2 series, Cops Like Us, which is airing tonight.

Staffordshire Police Federation, which represents rank and file officers, says the force’s workforce has dropped by 30% over the last ten years, from 2,400 to 1,670.

According to the Ministry of Justice, eight people convicted of terror offences in the last five years have been released and are living in the West Midlands or Staffordshire.

Terrorist Usman Khan, who was shot dead by armed police after a knife attack in London Bridge last year, was living Stafford at the time while out on licence for separate terror offences.

  • Woolwich stabbings: Teen killed and man fights for life following brutal knife attacks

The area has also experienced a growth in serious organised violence linked to "county lines" drug dealing and cyber crime.

Mr Morgan also described the difficult decision to shift some officers from a response role into neighbourhood policing and investigations to try and prevent crimes from happening rather than only reacting to them.

He said: ”Some of those decisions have been tough. It takes its toll on me. I think we should be open about taking difficult decisions and their effects.”

Last year Boris Johnson announced that police forces would receive 20,000 extra officers.

Mr Morgan said the increase would not make up for the loss of officers in the force, and continued: “It'll take us a long time to get back to where we were.”

Source: Read Full Article