A gunman who killed 51 worshippers in two New Zealand mosques has changed his plea to guilty, admitting all murder charges.
Brenton Tarrant opened fire during Friday Prayers last year in New Zealand, Christchurch.
The 29-year-old had previously denied the charges and was due to go on trial in June, but has changed his plea in a shock move.
Tarrant appeared via video link at Christchurch High Court due to the current coronavirus outbreak which has placed New Zealand on lockdown.
The BBC reports, Judge Justice Mander said: "It is regrettable that the Covid-19 restrictions that presently apply do not permit victims and their families to travel to be present in the courtroom when the defendant entered his pleas of guilty."
Brenton Tarrant is accused of carrying out the murders on March 15, 2019.
Australian Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 29, admitted he alone was responsible for the deadly attacks in the Christchurch last March, according to local reports.
The attack prompted New Zealand's gun reforms, after Tarrant livestreamed the murders and uploaded on to Facebook.
Using a GoPro camera he could be seen going into the Al Noor mosque, firing his gun at least 205 times.
According to Newstalk ZB, Tarrant also admitted 40 charges of attempted murder relating to the two attacks at Masjid Al Noor and Linwood Islamic Centre in the South Island city on March 15, 2019.
In a manifesto posted by him on Facebook, he wrote explained why he carried out the attack, to avenge “thousands of deaths caused by foreign invaders”.
All Carphone Warehouse stores are closing down in a massive blow to the UK High Street.
Major Brit retailer Dixons Carphone has announced it is shutting all 531 standalone Carphone Warehouse stores.
It is also axing 2,900 jobs under the plans, although 1,800 workers – 40% – are expected to find new jobs within Dixons.
Dixons has said it will now focus on selling mobile devices in its 305 Currys PC World stores and online.
It said the plans are part of the "next step in its transformation", adding it plans to launch a new mobile offering "later this year".
It said in a statement: "Dixons Carphone will go well beyond legal obligations in financial and other support for all affected colleagues.
"There's never an easy time for an announcement like this, but the turbulent times ahead only underline the importance of acting now, to ensure a business fit for the future."
Detailing its plans for a new mobile offering, the statement added: "This will include deals they can't find anywhere else, nationwide face-to-face advice, the best range of handsets from the biggest brands and a wide range of tariffs and networks, underpinned by a market-beating price promise."
Chief executive Alex Baldock said: "Customers are changing how they buy technology, and Dixons Carphone must change with them. We're underway with a fundamental transformation to do so.
Virgin lists 25 stores it is closing down across UK putting 110 jobs at risk
"Today's tough decision is an essential part of that, the next step in making our UK Mobile business a success for customers, colleagues and other shareholders."
The closures, which represent 8% of Dixons Carphone's total UK selling space, do not affect the 70 Carphone Warehouse stores in the Republic of Ireland or any operations internationally.
The huge blow to the High Street comes as the coronavirus outbreak grips the UK, with retailers being badly affected by the disease.
Yesterday Prime Minister Boris Johnson urged people, from this weekend, not to visit theatres, pubs and restaurants and to work from home where possible.
HMV quietly shutting down flurry of UK stores as 'closing down' signs go up
Dixons said it has not yet seen a material impact from the coronavirus outbreak, though it is preparing for one.
It said it is currently on track to meet its full-year 2019-20 adjusted pretax profit guidance of 210 million pounds ($257 million) despite the headwind to profit from Dixons Travel and currency translation as well as for net debt to be lower year-on-year.
"But we are aware the situation may change over the final weeks of the financial year," it said.
A girl who has the mental capacity of a five-year-old was allegedly sexually assaulted on a school bus for 17 days before the bus driver reported it.
In a traumatic case, a group of students allegedly groped the girl in a series of incidents which escalated to being accused of rape.
Lee Parks, one of the attorneys for the child claimed: “She was stripped naked. On the bus.
"The bus driver, after the rape in a half-hearted attempt to report it, said he’d seen something. He didn’t say what."
According to the lawsuit, details of the graphic case suggest that one student moved from his seat to grope the girl.
11Alive News reports the bus itself was specifically designed for special needs children and only had three to four rows of seats.
Gang of teens stamp on girl, 15, in sickening attack caught on camera
Four men raped teen and used her 'like piece of meat' in sick campaign of abuse
Another student then also began to assault the girl in a series of escalating attacks which led to the girl being "stripped naked, physically battered and raped," according to the lawsuit.
The bus driver only notified the school authorities of the attack on the day the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was raped.
The lawsuit also says: "The bus driver in this case was completely derelict in his duties and repeatedly exhibited a wilful and deliberate indifference to maintaining student discipline and ensuring student safety."
A spokesman with Fulton County School District said: "The driver was immediately separated from the district."
Fulton County School District told Daily Star Online in a statement: “The allegations in this complaint are extremely serious and concerning to the district.
"Because we are dealing with minor students, this is a particularly sensitive matter.
"We need to allow any ongoing investigations to be complete and respect the privacy of all students allegedly involved.
"We look forward to the case being adjudicated through the legal process, not by attempting to make legal gains with press statements and grandstanding."
The incidents occurred between April 5 to April 20 last year in Georgia, US.
The kindness of a little girl towards a mum who beat and assault her after returning home from a boozy night out has left people shocked and heartbroken.
The 11-year-old was left at home alone to look after her younger sister the night before the brutal 18 minute attack, the Liverpool Echo reports.
During the assault the child's 35-year-old mother pinned her against the wall, throttled her until she could barely breathe and even used the stilettos on her high heeled shoes to scrape against the girl's legs.
During drunken rage, which the child captured on camera, the mum could also be heard telling her: “You’ve ruined my night – you better run when I get home” after the anxious youngster phoned her at 1am to find out where she was.
The iPad footage of the sustained attack showed police what the child went through, reportedly up to three times a week.
But after the ordeal, the child still managed to show kindness to the woman who abused her.
After being convicted of admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm and cruelty to a child, the mum, who cannot be named to protect her daughter's identity, faced a potential jail sentence.
However she was spared prison thanks to her daughter, who said she would feel too guilty.
Instead, the mother's two year prison sentence was suspended for 24 months.
Passing sentence Judge Sophie McKone told the mother: "In my view you deserve an immediate custodial sentence but the one person who would really suffer from you going to prison is your daughter.
''I have read that it would have a detrimental effect on her and would increase the responsibility that she feels.
"The social worker feels if you were to receive a custodial sentence this would further your daughter’s feelings of guilt.”
But the girl's loyalty to her mother has left strangers heartbroken and shocked at her kindness.
Today's Top Stories
Carol Brown Clarke said: "I was going to say what a disgusting sentence until I read that the 11 year old was already feeling guilty about reporting her mother and would suffer bad guilt if she had gone to prison.
"That poor child."
Debbie Lloyd Hughes added: "Reading that the child was full of fear must have been embedded in her daily life.
"Living with that monster. It is awful that she was feeling guilty when she shouldn't be feeling like that."
In mitigation the woman's lawyer David Morton said: “The biggest punishment she could have was when her children were taken from her.
"Alcohol was clearly a feature but she has now reduced enormously what was usually an occasional consumption of alcohol.
"While she wasn’t a regular drinker when she did drink, she didn’t know when to stop.
“She is hugely remorseful for her behaviour.”
The mother was also subject to a six-month curfew from 7pm to 7am and was ordered to complete 200 hours unpaid work.
A woman who was wearing jogging bottoms and a crop top has described her embarrassment after being asked to leave a restaurant as she didn’t meet the chain’s dress code.
Hannabella Parker said she felt discriminated against at the recently-opened Miller & Carter Steakhouse in Weston-super-Mare.
And then she was baffled when another restaurant in the chain 20 minutes away happily served her a meal on the same day.
After being turned away from the steakhouse, Hannabella drove 20 minutes up the M5 to Miller & Carter at Cribbs Causeway near Bristol.
Hannabella posted about her experience on Facebook, along with pictures of her outfit – featuring white joggers and a white crop top.
She said she was taken to one side and told she "wasn't dressed appropriately for their dress code policy" and asked to leave, reports SomersetLive .
Vegan Instagram model sells worn underwear and poses in sexy snaps on OnlyFans
Trophy hunter safaris let children slaughter wild animals in sick 'kids go free' deals
Your private WhatsApp texts, photos and numbers could be available to search on Google
Hannabella said: "I’ve been in there dressed up , dressed down, even more dressed down than today’s attire.
"[I'm] Feeling kind of discriminated due to other members of the public in the restaurant dressed similar or more causal than my self."
She described feeling embarrassed as other people in the restaurant stared at her.
And then she went on to describe how she found a seat at another restaurant in the same chain.
So a short while later she then returned to the restaurant in Weston-super-Mare to confront the manager.
'I'm sick of my boyfriend blaming everyone else for his appalling behaviour'
Woman slammed for 'selfish' act in airport which stopped passengers sitting down
She wrote: "[Travelled] 20 minutes up the motorway to another Miller & Carter at Cribbs Causeway. To walk straight through the doors, table for 2, eaten our food nothing to be said about clothing in and out, enjoyed our food with a good/fast efficient service."
"Drove back to Weston, to show the manager my receipt to ask what her problem was that she felt the need discriminate me? She wasn’t interested in what I had to say as she stood in her ‘empty’ restaurant.
"Wonder why things close down and Weston doesn’t have the business anymore?
"Well here’s one of the proofs. Learn some good customer service and treat people with respect it’s really not difficult.
"Refusing to give your service on behalf of the restaurant because I wasn’t dressed how you call would smart casual. I didn’t realise I needed to get my suit out to come in for lunch on a Tuesday afternoon."
Orphan monkeys forced to serve beers and play air hockey with kids in 'bar jobs'
TikTok parental controls – 6 tips you need to know to ensure your kids' safety
Her Facebook post on the Spotted Bath & Bristol page has divided opinion, though many people supported her and questioned the restaurant's policy.
In response one user wrote: "Joggers and I can see your belly, nothing about what you're wearing is smart and businesses have the right to refuse service to whom ever they wish.”
While another echoed Ms Parker's concerns by saying: "You're out enjoying a meal, really baffles me why they have a dress code when your paying them YOUR money.
"What if you were majorly ill and could only cope with going out in PJs I’ve known people do this!
"This world needs to be more realistic. You looked amazing x"
Outrage as 'Nazi soldiers' and 'Holocaust victims' march in town parade
What became of the '90s ladettes – homelessness, alcohol abuse and lasting regrets
Another comment read: "In my opinion you’re not dressed smart casual, that’s very casual.
"Nevertheless I think Miller and Carter pitch themselves a little too high and I disagree with them not serving you."
Today's Top Stories
In response to the Facebook post a Miller & Carter spokesman said: “We do have a smart-casual dress code in place at our steakhouses and what adheres to the dress code is down to the discretion of the restaurant's manager.