Boy, four, dies two days after scoffing gummy sweets laced with drug

  • Bookmark
  • Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    A mother has been charged with murder and child neglect after her four-year-old son died from eating gummies filled with THC.

    Tanner Clements, 4, was taken to hospital on May 6 after he was found unresponsive at his home in Spotsylvania, Virginia, where he tragically passed away two days later.

    His mother, Dorothy Annette Clements, 30, told police that he had eaten a gummy, but said there was only one in the jar, and they were CBD, which doesn't contain THC.

    READ MORE:Iron Maiden blasts fans for getting them 'f****d up' by smoking marijuana at gig

    After seizing the empty jar, police took it for analysis which showed the jar had remnants of THC, the potent compound that gives cannabis its high, instead of CBD.

    Toxicology results showed that the child had extremely high levels of THC in his system.

    Following his death, his mother wrote a message on Facebook saying: "My littlest love, it's time for you to take a walk I can't go on with you.

    "Your nanny will watch over you and guide you until I can make it there. Just know you will me missed and loved always and forever."

    Tanner was described as an "amazing, energetic, fun-loving little boy, [who] loved superheroes, being outside, playing hide and seek and making everyone laugh", in a obituary written by his family.

    Clements told WUSA-TV that she thought she had bought CBD gummies from a store and was unaware that the gummies she purchased instead contained THC, before she was charged.

    She said the boy suffered from a "cardiac episode" with the detective involved in the case stating that the attending doctor said the boy's death could have been prevented, if he had received medical care shortly after ingesting the gummies.

    To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

    On October 17, A Spotsylvania Grand Jury indicted Clements on felony murder charges on October 17.

    While the child's death was ruled accidental, Lakeisha Johnson, administrator for the office of the Chief Medical Examiner Central District, confirmed that the the cause of death was delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol toxicity.

    The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had warned people last year that products containing delta-8 THC "have not been evaluated or approved by the FDA for safe use in any context."

    READ NEXT:

    • Top doctor who killed lover giving him oral sex with cocaine on penis told to pay £12k

    • 'Most dangerous' cartel dumps chopped-up bodies across city with chilling note

    • Friends star Matthew Perry admits he's spent £8million 'trying to get sober'

    • Police
    • Drugs
    • Cannabis

    Source: Read Full Article