Brit’s leg ‘explodes’ after spider bite on holiday causes gruesome injuries

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

A Brit was left stranded in Cambodia after a spider bite left him with grisly injuries.

Andrew Hodges, 56, was working in restaurants in the South East Asian country and just three weeks into his holiday before the episode.

Andrew, from Woking in Surrey, was taken to hospital – where doctors initially wanted to amputate the leg.

He was bitten in 2018 but has been unable to travel home due to complications from the injury.

Andrew said: "I suspect it was a spider bite although I have no recollection of it happening.

"I was acting very strange according to a next-door neighbour, and my knee on my right leg was apparently twice the size.

"It wasn't until I collapsed in the street when a passer-by found me and offered to take me to hospital.

“I was left on a trolley with no medicine. I later received two drips and was laid on a mat on the floor to receive treatment, which is where I became conscious again.

"I was given one injection a day, and after the fourth day, I was informed they were going to cut my leg off.

  • World's bravest jogger runs through wildfire and puts flames out with his feet

"I wasn't very happy with that idea, especially as I had no information of what happened or anything else."

Andrew decided to escape the hospital in the early hours of the morning, with his leg severely damaged.

He said: "I got a tuk-tuk, got back to the apartment I was renting, and basically had to treat myself."

  • Kim Jong-un to ban North Korean schoolchildren with Covid-19 symptoms from going home

Andrew managed to get hold of antibiotics along with various other medicines which he found through an internet search.

He said: "It took about eight months for it to heal, even though it's not healed now, the bottom part of the ankle, because the leg exploded in three places – one under the knee, one on the bite, one on the bone of the ankle.".

Andrew's gone through his savings by paying for the relevant treatments.

He is also in debt from not paying his £200 a month visa, due to not being able to walk to the immigration office.

  • Divers and great white shark come face-to-face in nail-biting encounter

"I'm stranded anyway because you can't get out of the country because of lockdown", he said.

"Even if I could fly, the main reason is the total costs here from what I paid in medical bills and eight months of medicines, all the money I had saved up slowly has drained away."

He added: "The spider bite destroyed my whole life as I knew it and now I am reduced to poverty and will soon be on the streets of Cambodia."

Andrew is hoping his brothers or other family in Woking will get in touch to help him.

  • Spiders

Source: Read Full Article