Child killer Colin Pitchfork back behind bars just weeks after release

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

Double child killer Colin Pitchfork has been arrested and recalled to prison, the Ministry of Justice said, after he was released two months ago.

It is understood Pitchfork, 61, was returned to custody on Friday over a breach of his licence conditions, and his re-release will be a matter for the Parole Board.

A Probation Service spokesperson said: "Protecting the public is our number one priority so when offenders breach the conditions of their release and potentially pose an increased risk, we don't hesitate to return them to custody."

Pitchfork had only just tasted his first months of freedom after being locked up for murder for 33 years.

Pitchfork was placed on the sex offenders register and had to live at a designated address while supervised by probation and wear an electronic tag.

South Leicestershire MP Alberto Costa, who has campaigned against Colin Pitchfork's release from prison, has said his recall shows licence conditions are "working".

He said: "I was informed earlier this evening by the policing minister that double child rapist and killer Colin Pitchfork has been recalled to prison.

"Pitchfork's behaviour has given sufficient cause for concern to the probation authorities.

"Pitchfork is under the most stringent of licence conditions and perhaps this recall evidences that those conditions are working.

"I will urgently take this matter up with the Government to ensure that public safety remains the number one focus."

Pitchfork was the first person to be ever be convicted using DNA evidence and for the murders of schoolgirls Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth, both 15-years-old.

On November 22 in 1983, Lynda Mann's body was found on a deserted footpath in the Narborough area after she had been raped and strangled by Pitchfork.

The body of his second victim, Dawn Ashworth, was found in a wooded area near a footpath called Ten Pound Lane in the same area just three years later on August 2.

Ashworth had been beaten and raped as well as strangled.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

DNA profiling of around 5,000 men took place but Pitchfork's colleague revealed to fellow workers that he had taken a blood test while masquerading as Pitchfork.

The killer reportedly told his colleague to take the test because he did not want to avoid be harassed by police because of prior convictions for indecent exposure.

Pitchfork was later arrested and convicted of their murders.

Other than breaching the terms of his release, the specific details of the breach are currently unknown.

  • Crime

Source: Read Full Article