Spain confirmed its third case of coronavirus on Tuesday as an Italian tourist staying at a hotel in Adele, Tenerife, tested positive for the virus. The H10 Costa Adeje Palace in Tenerife is reportedly on lockdown, with up to 1,000 guests inside. Hundreds of tourists at the hotel are being tested for the coronavirus, formally known as COVID-19. Britons staying at the hotel have said they have been given very little information by staff.
One person told Sky News: “All we have been told is to stay in our rooms.”
Another Briton, who also wished to remain anonymous, said: “We’ve not been given any information other than a piece of paper under the door. We can’t get through to reception.”
Spanish health authorities have not yet confirmed the lockdown but said tourists and staff were being tested for the virus.
A spokeswoman for Canary Island’s health department said: “We are checking people who had contact with the patient including the people in the hotel.”
The measures have been put in place after an Italian tourist, from the Lombardy region – the centre of the outbreak in Italy fell ill with the virus.
He went to a private clinic in Adeje and was later admitted to hospital on the island, where he has tested positive for COVID-19.
The patient reportedly had a fever for six days before he saw a doctor at a clinic, and was then admitted to University Hospital Nuestra Senora de Candelaria where the test was carried out, according to local newspaper El Dia.
The man is the third person to test positive for the virus in Spain, after a British man in Mallorca on February 9 and a German man on the Canary Island of La Gomera on February 1 contracted COVID-19.
Canary Islands president Angel Victor Torres confirmed on Monday night: “This afternoon the coronavirus protocol has been activated for an Italian tourist in the south of Tenerife.
“The result from the first test carried out in the Canaries is positive.
“Tomorrow new tests will take place in Madrid. The patient has been quarantined.”
Italy is currently the worst-hit European country for coronavirus, with 230 confirmed cases.
Coronavirus US contagion MAP: Terrifying map shows confirmed cases [MAP]
Public health expert accuses WHO of playing Coronavirus political game [COMMENT]
Travel warning: Is Tenerife safe for holidays? [INSIGHT]
Seven Italian’s have so far died from the virus, as officials attempt to contain the outbreak by putting whole towns on lockdown, including Lombardy and Veneto.
Police are manning checkpoints around 11 quarantined northern towns, as the government passed emergency measures to help stop the spread of the outbreak.
On Tuesday, Italian officials confirmed its first case of coronavirus in the south after a holidaymaker from the north fell ill while visiting Sicily with friends.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock has urged those returning from northern Italy to self-isolate in the UK if they show coronavirus symptoms.
The minister suggested those with flu-like symptoms who have been north of Pisa should stay at home for 14 days.
He said the advice also applies to anyone who has recently returned from Italy’s quarantined towns, even if they have no symptoms.
But Mr Hancock said the travel advice to Italy has not changed.
He said there were no plans to stop flights from the country after experts advised it would be ineffective.
But insurers told the BBC they will only pay compensation the Foreign Office advises against all travel or all but essential travel to the area.
Source: Read Full Article