Denver’s protests over the death of George Floyd enter sixth day

A sixth day of marches and protests took over downtown Denver Tuesday with crowds stretching the length of three city blocks, but while the crowds were at least as big as previous nights, the mood was more relaxed with less police presence as evening fell.

As they moved through town, from the Colorado Capitol to Civic Center and then headed toward the 16th Street Mall, protestors were chanting, “No justice. No peace,” “Out of your home! Into the streets!” and “Hey hey, ho ho, these racist cops have got to go!”

At Coors Field, they dropped to their knees.

Charlie Shae of Denver said this is the first night she’s been at the protests here, but her friends have been.

“This is not the first time our country has had to do this,” she said, referencing decades of civil rights protests. “How are we still fighting for the same things in 2020?” she said.

Protesters are angered over the death of George Floyd who died May 25 after a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes. From the beginning, Denver’s demonstrations have been tense with standoffs between Denver Police Department officers and people marching the streets.

Police have deployed tear gas, foam bullets, pepper balls and smoke bombs to deter protesters and disperse crowds. Protesters have started fires, vandalized buildings, shot fireworks and lobbed rocks and bottles at officers.  Since Thursday, 338 people have been arrested on various charges.

Mayor Michael Hancock ordered a 9 p.m. curfew through Friday, but protesters largely have ignored it. On Monday, thousands of people stayed on the streets well past the deadline to leave. A smaller group of protesters remained until midnight when a band of Denver police officers in riot gear fired tear gas at them.

Protestors on Tuesday also gathered in other Colorado cities, from Colorado Springs to Gunnison, where the High Country News reported several hundred people were demonstrating.

Source: Read Full Article