Electrocuted boy, 16, regains consciousness 36 hours after massive shock

An electrocuted boy has regained consciousness 36 hours after the massive shock.

The 16-year-old suffered a severe electric shock from a high-voltage live wire.

The teenager regained consciousness one-and-a-half days after the accident in Delhi on August 1.

A wire hit him after an iron railing at his shop came down during heavy rain.

The boy was discovered stuck to the railing motionless with electricity still coursing through his body, Hindustan Times reports.

Quick-thinking doctors at the hospital managed to save him following the terrifying accident.

Before emergency services rescued him, the electricity supply for the district had to be cut off.

He was taken to the emergency department at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital.

Critical Care head Dr Priyadarshini Pal said the patient had no heartbeat, an absent pulse rate and progressively falling blood pressure.

This was caused by the continuous flow of electricity through his body.

Dr Pal said: “He had exceptionally low chances of survival. But doctors at the Emergency and Critical Care unit quickly responded to his critical condition.

“We immediately gave him CPR. The process was extremely critical because any delay in CPR after a cardiac arrest could have led to possible irreversible brain damage.

"We were able to revive the patient after CPR that lasted for an unusual time of almost 45 minutes.”

The doctor said that, after regaining consciousness, the teen was discharged on August 5.

Senior Consultant Dr Sudheer Tyagi said that if there had been even a slight delay he could have suffered irreparable brain damage.

The patient’s brother said: “We had lost hope when initially the doctors informed us that chances of my brother’s survival were slim.

"But Dr Pal and her team put in all their efforts and brought him back from the jaws of death.”

Source: Read Full Article