A man has stunned doctors by surviving a horrendous electrocution that turned him into a "human fireball".
Darren Harris was "catapulted" across a room when he touched an old 11,000 volt switchboard that he thought was turned off years ago.
The 29-year-old has been dubbed a medical miracle for not only coming back to life after laying "dead" for several minutes, but recovering from third degree burns to 47% of his body.
Darren's accident came when urban exploring and collecting scrap from an abandoned steel works in Wolverhampton in November 2020, the Mirror reports.
With the building set for demolition, the scaffolder presumed all electrics were off and fatefully put his hand on a live copper bar.
Somehow Darren regained consciousness and managed to flag down an ambulance passing by chance.
For several minutes Darren said he was laid dead on the floor, but recalls the moment he came back to life and saw his whole body on fire.
Darren from Manchester told The Mirror: "I put my hand on the bar and my body was catapulted across the room.
"My life flashed before my eyes and I was dead for a few minutes.
"I don't know what brought me back but I remember waking up and my whole body was on fire, I was a human fireball.
Russian soldier says terrified troops are 'shooting and killing themselves' to avoid war
"I ran for my life and somehow managed to scale a 10ft fence not knowing the damage that had already been done to my body.
"My forearms were completely debrided, I could see right to the bone.
"My face was hanging off like a flap and my windpipe was exposed.
"I was stood on the side of the road for a couple of minutes when an ambulance came round the corner.
Good deed couple realise 'distressed abandoned puppy' they took home is not a dog
"I threw myself in front of it and the next thing I remember is waking up 27 days later."
Darren had been transported to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham where he had been placed in an induced coma as doctors battled with his injuries including multiple organ failure and sepsis.
Experts performed 23 surgeries including skin grafts, a craniotomy to relieve pressure from his brain and a pioneering surgery to apply artificial skin, known as Biodegradable Temporising Matrix, to his burns.
Darren claims the surgeons told him they had "never seen anything like it" in their 30-year long careers.
He said: "The doctors and nurses couldn't believe it, that I even survived the initial injury, never mind the fact that I flagged down a passing ambulance and then survived the gruelling surgeries.
"They told me I shouldn't be here, I'm not just lucky to be alive, I'm one in a million."
As a result of his burns, Darren has been left with no nose or ears, and has also lost mobility in both hands, leaving him unable to work.
Disfigured by his injuries, Darren has battled depression and suicidal thoughts, but says he came to realise he had been given a "second chance".
For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here
Now he has launched a GoFundMe to pay for pioneering surgery to 3D print a live reconstruction of his ears using his stem cells.
"I have been given a second chance at life and I'm grateful to be here."
To donate to Darren's GoFundMe click here.
Source: Read Full Article