Manchester Arena bomber Salman Abedi left a handwritten note to his landlady apologising for "any mess" he made before killing 22 people in a terrorist attack, a court heard.
Abedi left the note before detonating his rucksack packed with homemade explosives at the venue as people left an Ariana Grande concert in May, 2017.
Jurors at the Old Bailey were shown a scribbled apology on a sheet of paper left inside apartment 39, Granby House, central Manchester, which was recovered when police searched the rental property two days after attack.
It read: "Sorry if there is anything missing in the apartment or any mess made, the extra 150 (pounds) and the rest of the week's rent can hopefully cover it. 'Sam'."
Abedi, 22, used the false name "Sam Abdi" to rent the one-bedroom property from Ruth Bain, agreeing to pay £750 for a two-week short-term stay, jurors previously heard.
But four days into the let, he was seen on CCTV leaving the one-bedroom flat and heading to Manchester Arena, where he detonated his suicide bomb as thousands of men, women and children headed home.
Prosecutors said Abedi and his younger brother Hashem used various addresses, vehicles and mobile phones to organise, stockpile and store components for the bomb.
The brothers left their family home in Elsmore Road, Fallowfield, in April on one-way tickets, accompanied by their parents. But Salman returned, alone, on May 18, jurors were told.
Hashem, now also 22, is on trial accused of conspiring with Salman over the plot, which killed 22 people and injured hundreds of others.
He denies any knowledge of the bomb plot.
Photographs taken during searches of the Granby House flat and the family home in the days after the bombing showed discarded oil cans, residue from bomb-making chemicals, and various nuts and bolts, the court heard.
At Granby House, officers also discovered items including scrapings from match sticks, various bits of wire, black tape, a serrated edge saw, and a roll of clear acetate, prosecutors said.
Jurors previously heard how Salman agreed to pay £600 upfront to Ms Bain, with a further £150 part-way through his stay, and handed the landlady a handwritten note containing his false name, a "previous address" and some contact details.
Ms Bain told police her subsequent attempts to contact the new, short-term tenant were unsuccessful. She later recognised his face from media coverage of the bombing suspect.
Of the 359 people in the City Room at the time of the blast, those killed were mainly stood within 10 metres of Abedi and were hit by multiple shrapnel and nuts, causing catastrophic injuries.
A further 264 were injured, including 111 taken to hospital, 63 seriously injured, and 28 very seriously injured, with typical injuries including loss of eyes, facial reconstructions, burns and nerve damage involving multiple operations, paralysis and life-changing injuries, the court was told.
The youngest victim, Saffie-Rose Roussos, eight, from Preston, suffered more than 70 external injuries, with 17 metal nuts in her body, and died from blood loss due to multiple injuries.
Student Chloe Rutherford, 17, from South Shields, was hit with 45 nuts and suffered more than 100 injuries, including a brain injury which would have left her immediately unconscious, the court heard.
Two of the injured survivors included a woman who was hurt with shrapnel during the 1996 IRA bombing of Manchester and another woman left seriously injured who had been in Warrington at the time of the 1993 IRA bombing of the town, which left two schoolboys dead.
Salman Abedi's body was recovered in four parts and was riddled with nuts, wire and metal parts, the court heard.
He was identified by his DNA and fingerprints taken in 2012 when he was arrested for shoplifting, the jury was told.
After the blast, police forensic investigators recovered 1,675 nyloc nuts, 156 flange nuts, 663 plain nuts and 11 fragments from the deceased, survivors and the crime scene.
Prosecutors say both brothers had been planning the attack for months.
Hashem, who was in Libya with his family at the time of the attack, has denied 22 counts of murder, attempted murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.
The trial continues.
Source: Read Full Article