Meghan being dragged into Andrew case ‘would be disastrous for royals’ – expert

Meghan Markle being dragged into the civil suit against Prince Andrew – as suggested by the claimant's lawyers – would be a "disaster" for the royals, an expert has claimed.

Royal commentator Daniela Elser has warned that if, as we reported yesterday, Ms Markle is called up to give a deposition as part of the suit against the embattled Prince, then it "might be time to crack out the Tanqueray" at Buckingham Palace.

The civil suit has been brought by one of Jeffrey Epstein's accusers, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, according to her lawyer David Boies.

Writing for news.com.au, Ms Elser said: "If there was one person whom Her Majesty would likely not want spilling the beans about the inner workings of Windsor life, it would have to be the malcontent Duchess of Sussex who along with her husband is shaping up as the 21st-century equivalents of Oliver Cromwell.

"While at first glance the idea that Meghan, a committed lifelong advocate for gender equality, would have had much to do with the man nicknamed Randy Andy thanks to his series of 'romantic' (cough) conquests, then think again."

She added: "It was on her way to Andrew and Fergie’s Windsor home, the 30-room home Royal Lodge, when Meghan learned she was about to meet the Queen for the first time and had to Google how to curtsy, she revealed during the Sussexes’ bombshell TV interview earlier this year.

"… Your Majesty – it might be time to crack out the Tanqueray. You know that big bottle you have been keeping for a special occasion.

"You could be about to need it, very badly indeed."

Meghan's previous mention of Prince Andrew came on the much-publicised Oprah interview earlier this year.

She said: "We were going for lunch at Royal Lodge, which is where some other members of the family live, specifically Andrew and Fergie, and Eugenie and Beatrice would spend a lot of time there. Eugenie and I had known each other before I knew Harry.

"When we got there, Fergie ran out and said, 'Are you ready? Do you know how to curtsy? Oh, my goodness, you guys'."

While there is currently no suggestion that Meghan has any knowledge about the allegations levelled at Prince Andrew, which the Duke of York has continuously denied, the lawyer emphasised that Markle is just "one of the people we are considering, we haven't made a decision yet," during an interview with the Daily Beast.

Lewis Kaplan, District Judge for the Southern District of New York, is set to hear arguments from the Duke of York's legal team to dismiss the suit on January 4.

Mr Boies said that his team were able to depose up to 12 individuals as part of this stage and that they needed to be careful who they picked to fit in with the time constraints.

Prince Andrew's ex-wife Sarah Ferguson was also in consideration but it is understood she would be a more difficult target as she lives in the UK.

Mr Boies said there were no plans to depose the Queen "out of respect and deference" and because of her age.

For more of the latest news from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article