A group of masked men who claim to be Mexico's "most powerful drug cartel" have created a video threatening to kill a national television news anchor for what they viewed as unfair coverage.
The video, which has been circulating since Monday, shows masked and armed men surrounding a man seated at a small desk who delivered a message he said was from Rubén Oseguera Cervantes, aka "El Mencho", leader of the Jalisco New Generation cartel.
The threatening message stated that Milenio Television, a national cable news channel, was favouring so-called self-defense groups that are battling the cartel in Michoacán state, The Guardian reports.
In the video, the man delivering the message singled out Mileno anchor Azuncena Uresti, threatening to kill her.
He goes on to allege that the vigilante groups are drug traffickers as that is the only organisation that could afford the weapons they have at their disposal.
It also mentions Hipolito Mora, who organised a self-defences brigade in the area a decade earlier but has recently distanced himself from these groups.
The Jalisco cartel representative said that he did not want to stop freedom of expression but just wanted the coverage on mainstream media to be even and balanced.
Britain faces military stand-off as China warns it 'greets wolves with shotguns'
Milenio Television and Uresti did not immediately comment on the threat, The Guardian reports.
Presidential spokesman Jesús Ramírez Cuevas wrote on Twitter that the Mexican government "will take the necessary measures to protect threatened journalists and news outlets".
At the end of last month, six men were murdered and dismembered in a rural area of the western Mexican state of Michoacán, in an attack that police believe could be bloody revenge from a rival drug cartel.
Inside cartel's twisted cells that torture kids and carry out brutal murders
Want to see more stories like this? You can get all of Daily Star's articles sent directly to your inbox! Sign up in seconds here!
The six mutilated bodies were located on Wednesday and all suffered severe torture marks.
All victims were dismembered and forensic teams presume they were killed by asphyxiation, The Rio Times report.
Investigators say their main line of enquiry is the possibility that the brutal attack was the result of revenge between drug trafficking cartels, something that is happening regularly in Michoacan.
Authorities have confirmed that all six brutalised bodies have been sent to the Forensic Medical Service (Semefo) and are awaiting to be identified by their relatives.
Source: Read Full Article