Mum’s heartbreaking plea after two-year-old daughter dies swallowing battery

A mum whose two-year-old daughter tragically died after swallowing a battery has spoken out about her intense suffering and vowed to fight on in her child’s name.

Stacy-Marie Niklin's little girl, Harper-Lee Fanthorpe, was left throwing up blood and passed away in hospital after the battery burned through her oesophagus and a major artery.

The killer device was easily removed from a remote control and is commonly used in homes across the UK.

Now, Stacy-Marie, who lives in Abbey Hulton, Staffordshire, has teamed up with Stoke-on-Trent Live to campaign for a change in the law to stop any other children from suffering the same heart-rendering fate.

"The past five weeks have been absolute torture," she told the local news outlet.

"I feel lost. I miss her so much. She was like my little shadow. Everywhere I went Harper was behind me. I couldn't even have a bath without her jumping in, fully-clothed.

"She wouldn't even sleep on her own. For two years we co-slept. Every day was just so full of laughter, full of giggles.

“She was such a little character. She made such a massive impact on everyone she met. She always made them cry with laughter.”

Stacy-Marie heart-breakingly revealed how the last thing her daughter told her was “Mummy, I need you.”

Just days after her little girl’s death, the mum researched more into the dangers of button batteries.

She was appalled to find out deaths caused by them have occurred since the 1970s.

"They were all children under two. So why has nothing been done? They're in children's books – the ones that make the little animal noises – they're in greetings cards,” she told Stoke-on-Trent Live.

“They're even in children's toys. And if Harper could pull one out of a remote, another child can pull it out of a birthday card or a children's book.

"I've had people message me saying, 'Stacy, we've gone through our kids' toy box and we've found loose batteries at the bottom of the box'. That's how easily they are falling out.

"When I felt the remote control the next day when we came home from the hospital, I pulled it apart and there was no catch, no screw, nothing. It literally just fell apart.

"There are no warnings, nothing. They are so dangerous. I honestly thought when the surgeon told me about Harper swallowing the button battery that she'd be okay, because she was in the best hands.

"But it had done so much damage."

Her message to other parents is to keep checking there’s no loose batteries lying around.

She added: "This is my focus now: to push and push and push to get something done. If not to see them banned, then to see them made more secure.

"I won't let my baby die for nothing."

You can show your support by signing the petition here.

Source: Read Full Article