‘Nosferatu’ killed little girls and posted remains to parents with cryptic notes

Before the arrival of the mysterious box at their Tokyo home, Mari Konno’s parents had been clinging to the hope that their four-year-old daughter was still alive.

Five months before, on 22 August 1988, the wide-eyed youngster was abducted while playing at a friend’s house, and despite a huge police search there had been no sign of her. Until now.

Opening the parcel, they found a container of ashes, some teeth, a photo of the outfit Mari went missing with and a note that read: “Mari. Cremated. Bones. Investigate. Prove."

Their worst fears had been confirmed – their daughter was dead.

But it wasn’t until Tsutomu Miyazaki, 26, was arrested almost a year later that they would learn what had happened to her after she was throttled to death.

The anime-obsessed loner had stripped her naked, raped her corpse and left her body in the hills.

He returned after she had decomposed, dismembering her before incinerating her remains, cutting off her hands and feet which were found in a cupboard in his bedroom.

The terror of Miyazaki’s four young victims must have been multiplied by the sight of his abnormally long, bony hands, the result of a rare birth defect which meant he was unable to move his wrists upwards.

Photos taken of the dead eyed paedophile show alien-like digits with uncut nails, earning him the nickname of the ‘vampire killer’ or ‘real life Nosferatu’.

Bullied at school, Miyazaki spent a lot of time with his grandad and a man with learning difficulties paid to act as his nanny.

As a teen he became increasingly reclusive, watching anime, gory horror films and child porn, and creeping out women at the college where he studied photography by taking sneaky photos of their crotches.

When his grandad died, just months before he murdered Mari Konno, Miyazaki ate some of the old man’s ashes, telling police he wanted to “retain something from him”.

  • Chilling stalker killed entire family and 'lived with corpses after being rejected'

It was the start of a downward spiral in to unforgivable depths of depravity.

A few weeks after eating the ashes, Miyazaki turned violent when his sister caught him spying on her as she showered. His mother, furious about her son’s perversions, was similarly attacked when she demanded he spent less time watching his precious video tapes.

There were two more children killed in 1988 – seven-year-old Masami Yoshizawa on 3 October and Erika Namba, four, on 12 December.

  • Girls who killed their parents – including 12-year-old who slaughtered family

The girls were each lured to his car before being taken to the outskirts of Tokyo to be murdered and sexually assaulted after death.

Japanese police realised they were dealing with a serial killer, and the press was filled with references to ‘the Little Girl Killer’.

Both of their parents – like Mari Konno’s – were subjected to menacing anonymous phone calls and cryptic messages sent in the post. The Nambas received one, spelled from words cut out of magazines, that read: “Erika. Cold. Cough. Throat. Rest. Death.”

Miyazaki didn’t kill again until 6 June 1989 when he snatched Ayako Nomoto, five, after persuading her to let him take photographs of her in his car.

  • How serial killers died – from lying in faeces in 'excruciating pain' to being murdered

When she mentioned his deformed hands he flew in to a range and strangled her.

Wrapping her corpse in a sheet he smuggled it in to his home where he spent two days defiling it, taking photos and making home videos.

When the child’s remains began to decompose and smell, he drank her blood before beginning the process of dismemberment, again choosing to keep her hands, which some local news sources claimed he also ate.

Although Miyazaki originally dumped the girl’s torso in a cemetery and her head in the nearby hills, after two weeks he went back to find them, keeping the remains hidden in his closet.

Six weeks later on 23 July, Miyazaki was finally apprehended – moments before he killed a fifth child.

  • Serial killer nurse who ‘enjoyed’ injecting patients with air is sentenced to death

When police searched his apartment they found 5,763 video tapes of hentai, horror, porn – and tapes of his victims. This new development saw Miyazaki earn a new moniker, the "Otaku Murderer”, in reference to his unhealthy obsession (otaku) with anime.

Miyazaki’s trial started in 1990 and lasted for seven years. Lawyers fought over his mental state at the time of the murders while he sat quietly drawing an eerie character he dubbed ‘Rat Man’ a dark element of his personality who made him stalk, kill, rape and eat little girls.

Eventually he was found guilty and sentenced to death, and on 17 June 2008 he was hanged at Tokyo High Court.

Source: Read Full Article