Ukrainian forces target Russian soldiers in drone attack
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Shared online by Mykhailo Golub, who advocates for support for war-torn Ukraine on social media, the video sparked a discussion about the Russian soldiers’ ethics.
Mr Golub wrote on Twitter: “Outstanding Russian fraternity – to leave their comrade dying after a drone attack.”
Commenting on the clip, Berlin-based Eastern Europe expert Sergej Sumlenny said: “Russian soldiers don’t even try to help their wounded comrade.
“Says so much about the morale of this rapists’ army.”
Joining the thread, user @jiffyontherocks wrote: “That is something that has stood out to me when I see these videos; the fact that someone is wounded and his brothers in arms don’t rush back to provide first aid. Every man for himself.”
Others, however, pointed out the fourth man might not be dead, while the first seems to be carrying a body.
@ahmcguffin said: “Orcs (Russians) have disgusting habits. But the clip is confusing.
“Several still moving around in the trench. Looks like the first one moving out is carrying another person/orc. And the one at the end that drops down got something from the first escapee.”
@rockybeethoven backed their theory, claiming: “Your observation is correct. They were moving wounded. This was probably not the first attack.
“Although there is no bad side to bombing the s*** out of uniformed Russians, in any health condition and circumstance, they behaved rationally.”
The footage emerged just a week after a video of an apparent Ukrainian attack on a Russian military base in occupied Crimea made rounds the world over, with many questioning how long Putin can sustain a devastating conflict that is about to hit the six-month mark.
When a string of blasts destroyed the Black Sea base last Tuesday, with Russian holidaymakers forced to flee from nearby beaches, the Russian Defence Ministry was quick to say the explosions had been caused by the accidental detonation of ammunition, and that no aircraft had been damaged.
But Moscow’s losses in the invasion of its neighbour are increasingly difficult for the Kremlin to hide.
While it is impossible to confirm the exact volumes of destroyed equipment and casualties, the estimates are chilling.
Colin Kahl, the US undersecretary of defence for policy, discussed the figures during a briefing at the Pentagon last week.
Russian helicopter shot down by Ukraine [VIDEO]
Tariffs scrapped on hundreds of imports as UK torches red tape [INSIGHT]
When will it rain in August? INCHES of rain to come [MAPS]
Ukraine: Russia's armoured force losses discussed by Milley
He said: “I think it’s safe to suggest that the Russians have probably taken 70,000 or 80,000 casualties in less than six months.
“They have made some incremental gains in the east, although not very much in the last couple of weeks, but that has come at extraordinary cost to the Russian military.”
The large losses, Mr Kahl said, are due to “how well the Ukrainian military has performed and all the assistance the Ukrainian military has got”.
The official’s remarks came as the Biden administration announced a new $1 billion military aid package for Kyiv – the largest batch of arms sent to Ukraine since Washington began proving lethal weapons to the country more than five years ago.
In July, CIA director William Burns said Moscow had suffered around 60,000 casualties, including 15,000 troops killed in action.
Other estimates have placed Russian losses at around 20,000 so far, with 5,000 of those reported to be mercenaries of the Wagner Group.
The group, a private military company active in Ukraine, Syria and some African countries, deployed 1,000 mercenaries to eastern Ukraine since Russia’s war began in late February, British intelligence noted.
While Moscow has consistently denied Wagner has any connection with Putin’s regime, some suggest Russia’s military intelligence agency, the GRU, secretly funds and oversees the group.
The UK’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) said last month the Russian army was increasingly integrating Wagner into its fighting forces and had given it responsibility for sections of the frontline in Donbas due to a shortage of combat troops.
It said: “This new level of integration further undermines the Russian authorities’ long-standing policy of denying links between private military contractors and the Russian state.”
Source: Read Full Article