A paedophile who raped a girl, 7, in a public toilet for 40 minutes has launched an appeal to overturn his life sentence.
Anthony Sampieri has filed paperwork for a notice of intention to appeal the term that means he will die in prison which was handed to him by the courts handed to him last week.
The 56-year-old launched his appeal just one day after he was sent down by a judge who branded his attack parent’s “worst nightmare”.
Sampieri must outline his case for appeal by August 13 as he continues to fight his own liver cancer.
His lawyer, Penny Musgrave, confirmed to Australian media that he has lodged a notice of his intention to appeal – which will give him six months to proceed with the case.
Dubbed the “Monster of Kogarah”, he was high on crystal meth when he attacked the girl in a toilet cubicle at a dance studio in Sydney, Australia.
Mum 'dressed daughter, 9, in Playboy outfit so men could rape her as she watched'
Sex guru’s ‘killer’ stalked her at porn awards days before she died in balcony plunge
£2,600-a-night escort sent nude photos to boy, 13, saying ‘I must be a paedo’
Sampieri told thecourthe was “so sorry” for his actions and blamed his horrific crimes on drug addiction.
The paedophile punched the girl in the face before dragging her at knife point into the bathroom.
She had returned to the building to use the loo after finishing her jazz ballet class as her mum waiting outside.
The monster wrapped a cord round her neck and then raped her for 40 minutes – also binding her hands and stuffing toilet paper in her mouth so she couldn't scream.
And all the while her mum was frantically searching for her with the help of mechanic Nicola Gilio.
He was spotted by Gilio who then tacked him to the ground with the help of another man at the studio in Sydney suburb Kogarah.
The rapist still had his trousers down and was covered in blood.
Brit, 21, who fell from 100ft cliff at selfie spot died from ‘multiple head injuries’
Woman, 23, dies during cake eating contest after pledging to 'live life to full'
Police eventually arrived and the paedo claimed he was doing drugs in the toilet, protesting that he had been beaten up and two men had stolen his meth.
Judge Paul Conlon said Sampieri showed a “complete lack of empathy for the child” and that the assault was “any parent's worst nightmare”.
Judge Conlon said: “One can only imagine the confusion and heightened state of fear she would have been in as he subjected her to sexual abuse of the most horrifying and degrading kind.”
The judge added the girl may be terrified of bathrooms, including in her own home, for the rest of her life.
Sampieri was on parole when he attacked the girl having been released from jail for raping a 60-year-old woman at her home Wollongong in 2012.
And in the months leading up to the attack, he made 94 sexually explicit calls to various women including a 71-year-old community choir treasurer, a chaplain and 20 real estate agents.
Shamima Begum moans her ‘life has fallen apart’ as she poses with Union Jack pillow
Married dad raped boy, 14, he met on Grindr before offering him £20 and a cigarette
Sampieri pleaded guilty to 10 charges related to the dance hall attack including three counts of sexual intercourse with a child under 10.
Families were heard sobbing before they hugged and clapped when the sentence was read out jailing the rapist for life.
Sampieri previously told the court he had repeatedly injected drugs in another nearby toilet before the attack.
And he claimed he was so sexually aroused by the time he walked into the dance studio, he would have attacked anyone who walked in.
Today's Top Stories
Sampieri took to the stand and attempted to apologise for what he did to the little girl.
He said: “I've had a while to think about this…I feel really, really bad for what I've done.
“Using crystal meth, I believe that led me to what I did. I'm sorry I let you down by using crystal meth.”
The court heard he would masturbate and do drugs in public toilets as he didn’t want to do so in his mum’s home.
Source: Read Full Article