Police probe launched as Royal Marine recruit found dead near commando camp

A Royal Marines recruit has been found dead on a railway track close to his Devon training camp amid claims of bullying.

Investigations are now under way into the suspected suicide of recruit Connor Clark just a few weeks into starting the commando course.

The young recruit reportedly scaled a fence in order to gain access to the Exeter to Exmouth line close to the commando training centre in Lympstone, Devon Live reports.

Mother Tracy Clark has spoken about how 'beautifully close' she was with her son in a heart-breaking Facebook post.

"Yesterday this beautiful son, brother and friend Connor Clark tragically took his own life whilst following his dream during Royal Marines commando training," Tracy wrote.

The devastated mum said she had spoken to her son ten hours prior to his death and there "were no signs".

She said that her son had been following his dreams as a recruit.

The investigation is being led by British Transport Police who were called to the railway line early on Saturday morning where they found a casualty on the tracks.

“Paramedics also attended, however sadly a man was pronounced dead at the scene,” a spokesperson said.

“This incident is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.”

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

The investigation into Connor's death will include interviews with his fellow recruits and instructors.

The Lympstone commando centre is the Royal Marines' main training base.

It sees an average of 1,300 recruits every year – with 400 potential officers attending its well-known demanding courses.

In a statement for the Ministry of Defence a spokesman said: "We can confirm that Recruit Connor Clark died on June 12, 2021. His next of kin have been informed. It would be inappropriate for us to comment further."

It is understood that Mr Clark would have started his training at the end of last month.

The first period of the course is a 32-week stay in a large room, living with other recruits, with instructors stationed nearby.

The aim of the 32-week stay is to try and adapt to military life and win a prized green beret.

Some sources have said that the mentoring system, which is there to support recruits through the stay, has been compromised due to the pandemic.

For emotional support, you can call the Samaritans 24-hour helpline on 116 123, email [email protected], visit a Samaritans branch in person or go to the Samaritans website.

Source: Read Full Article