Prince Philip returns to Windsor Castle after leaving hospital and thanks medics

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

Prince Philip has returned to Windsor Castle to reunite with the Queen following his month-long stay in hospital.

The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, wishes to thank the medical staff who treated him, Buckingham Palace said.

He also wanted to thank "everyone who has sent their good wishes", the Palace said in a statement.

He left the private King Edward VII’s Hospital in central London in the back of a black BMW on Tuesday morning, March 16.

A witness said he left shortly after 10.30pm and was taken to a waiting car in a wheelchair.

The duke had been receiving treatment for a non-Covid related infection and had been recovering from a heart procedure carried out earlier this month.

It was his longest ever stay in hospital.

In a statement, the Palace said: "The Duke of Edinburgh has today been discharged from King Edward VII's Hospital and has returned to Windsor Castle, following treatment for an infection and a successful procedure for a pre-existing condition.

"His Royal Highness wishes to thank all the medical staff who looked after him at both King Edward VII's Hospital and St Bartholomew's Hospital, and everyone who has sent their good wishes."

The duke is understood to be in good spirits.

  • Dad of Army officer Prince Harry called a 'P***' defends royals against racism claims

Philip was admitted to King Edward VII's Hospital on February 16 after feeling unwell.

He was later moved to St Bartholomew's Hospital, in the City of London, where he had heart surgery on March 3 – just three months before his 100th birthday.

But he was later transferred back to King Edward's, where he spent nearly two weeks recovering before being discharged.

Last month, Prince William reassured Brits Philip was "ok", but said doctors were still “keeping an eye on him”.

Philip had been spending lockdown at Windsor with the Queen, 94.

Both received their coronavirus vaccines in January.

During Philip's time in hospital, the monarchy was plunged into crisis after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's explosive chat with Oprah Winfrey.

The interview saw the couple make racism allegations about the Royal Family.

In a statement issued on behalf of the Queen, Buckingham Palace said the "whole family' was saddened to learn "how challenging the last few years" have been for the couple.

It added: "The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning.

"While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately."

  • Prince Philip
  • Queen
  • Royal Family

Source: Read Full Article