Prom night chaos as students’ stretch limousine ‘bursts into flames’ on roadside

A group of teenagers had their school prom night thrown into disarray and chaos after the stretch limousine they hired burst into flames on the roadside.

The students from Shenley Academy in Birmingham were forced to call firefighters as the Hummer caught ablaze ahead of the end-of-year event on Thursday (July 7) evening.

Shocking images show them posing in their prom getups alongside fire crews in front of the charred shell of the vehicle.

READ MORE: Spirit Airlines passengers panic as plane brakes catch fire as it comes in to land

West Midlands Fire Service were contacted via 999, with responders rushing to the scene in Bartley Green from Northfield station.

It took them 20 minutes to tackle the blaze.

West Midlands Fire Service confirmed none of the teens were inside the limousine when it went up in flames, and that all were left "safe and en route" to the bash.

A spokesperson said: "The school prom didn’t start quite as planned for a group of students, when their stretch limo turned up then burst into flames.

"We received several 999 calls to Wychbury Road in Bartley Green, Birmingham at 5.50pm on Thursday, July 7.

"Luckily, no-one was in the vehicle or hurt.

"Firefighters from Northfield fire station wore breathing apparatus and used two hose reel jets to safely extinguish the fire in 20 minutes.

"It’s believed to have started because of an electrical fault.

"We’re pleased to say that the students still managed to get to their event of the year, at Shenley Academy."

  • BBC Breakfast's Nina Warhurst praised for 'picking apart' potential PM in 'shouty' chat

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Northfield fire station shared the images of the blaze and tweeted: "Watch out to a Hummer Limousine on fire powered by LPG.

"One prom photo the group wasn’t expecting tonight but all safe and on route to prom with @ShenleyOfficial."

After one woman thanked them for being "great with the kids" they replied: "One memorable prom picture! Hope everyone had an amazing night."

Another parent wrote: "They won't forget their prom in a hurry. At least it didn't happen while they were inside. It could have been much worse."

READ NEXT:

  • Man doused with petrol and set on fire by woman in horrifying attack after row

  • Glam ex-model sniper killed in Ukraine 'suffocated in bunker fire after Russian bombing'

  • Boozed dad dances to 'I'm too sexy for my shirt' – ends up causing fire at wedding

  • Inferno ripped through abandoned school which was '1980s time capsule'

  • One dead as flame-shooting 350mph 'Jet Truck' explodes in fireball and flies 300ft

Source: Read Full Article