Queen moves back to Windsor Castle – but leaves Philip behind at Sandringham

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

The Queen has returned to Windsor Castle – but left husband Prince Philip behind at Sandringham.

Her Majesty got back to the Berkshire royal residence on Tuesday, October 6, Buckingham Palace confirmed – having spent seven months with Philip.

The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, has spent much of his retirement so far at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk.

But he joined the Queen at Windsor for lockdown from March onwards before they headed to Balmoral in Aberdeenshire for their summer break and then moved to Sandringham for a few weeks.

The Court Circular – the daily list of royal engagements – cited Windsor Castle as the current residence of the royal court.

The Queen intends to resume audiences and small engagements at the castle.

According to the palace, she also wants to use Buckingham Palace in the autumn “during an autumn programme of audiences and engagements”.

She and Philip are reportedly closer than ever after spending months together.

A source told The Sun: “Everyone who has seen her recently says the Queen appears to have a new lease of life because she loved the chance to spend quality time with Philip again.

“Obviously she has been gravely worried about the nation during the pandemic but those around her have seen how amazing they have been together.

  • Top scientists beg for herd immunity for all but 'vulnerable and elderly'

“Because of self-isolation and with only a small team of loyal staff, dubbed ‘HMS Bubble’, this is the first time the Queen has been able to spend quality time with her husband for years.

“They have been able to relax and finally have the chance to live like regular people aged in their 90s should be able to.”

Last month, Her Majesty was forced to cancel all large-scale events at Buckingham Palace until next year.

Officials worry they won't be able to accommodate large numbers of people at the palace due to coronavirus social distancing requirements.

  • Stray pitbull refuses to leave missing toddler's side as he wanders streets

Aides tried to work out if ceremonies could take place in line with government guidelines, but it was not deemed possible.

A statement on its website reads: "In line with current government guidelines, and as a sensible precaution in the current circumstances, there will be no large-scale events held at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle for the rest of the year.

"A variety of possibilities were examined to see if it was possible for investitures to safely take place in line with the guidelines.

"Sadly, due to the large numbers of guests and recipients attending, it was not possible to find a way of safely delivering these events in the current circumstances. Recipients will be contacted directly.”

  • Prince Philip
  • Queen

Source: Read Full Article