Rugby player has life-changing injuries 17 years after leg infected with dog poo

A former rugby player says his life was turned upside down by a freak accident after the dog poo-covered studs on the boot of another player ripped into his leg, causing a severe infection.

Darryl Adams was playing an amateur game 17 years ago in Blaenau Gwent, south east Wales, when the incident happened, meaning he's been in and out of hospital ever since.

Darryl, now a grandfather, had his shin stamped on and the studs of the opposition player's boot cut the skin on his leg and the dog mess caused a cellulitis infection.

Now, something small can trigger a flare-up, which can be dangerous and potentially life-threatening.

Recalling the incident, which took place in 2005, Darryl said: “I ended up spending a week in hospital. All it takes is something small
to trigger it off again. The infection flared up twice between 2005 and 2013.

"The last time in 2013 was the worst. All it took was heavy flu to trigger it and I was hospitalised for two weeks because the
infection had tracked into my veins.

"Ever since then my leg has never been right, it is constantly swollen and looks awful, all from some selfish person who couldn’t be bothered to pick up after their dog!"

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Darryl is speaking out in support of Keep Wales Tidy’s dog fouling campaign, which urges dog owners to be responsible and pick up their pet’s mess.

As well as carrying harmful bacteria which can lead to infection, asthma and even blindness, bacteria can live in the
soil long after the dog mess has decomposed.

Keep Wales Tidy chief executive Lesley Jones said: “Darryl’s story highlights just how harmful dog poo can be for people. We urge the minority of irresponsible dog owners to do the right thing and pick up after their pets.

"By not picking up after your dog, you could be putting people at risk."

A spokesperson from Caerphilly County Borough Council said: “Whilst the majority of dog owners clean up after their pets, there are still a number of irresponsible owners who allow their dogs to foul in public places without clearing up after them.

"As well as being extremely unpleasant for the public and users of sports pitches, there are also serious health risks linked with
contaminated dog faeces."

Source: Read Full Article